Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Is anyone out there still listening?

I know, I know- I have promised to post regularly many times previously, but I haven't come through. Lame? Perhaps. Busy as all get out? That's more like it!

Let me recap the past couple of months, because they have been a total blur. Baby Stix has gone from a tiny little baby to a big giant baby! He smiles all the time, rolls over like a little log at every opportunity, sleeps through the night, eats like a champion, and got the go-ahead today to begin eating solid foods. *tear* My baby is growing up :)

School started last month, and so far, so good. I'm taking family law, federal criminal law, appellate advocacy, and bench trial advocacy. All of my professors this semester seem really cool and for the first time in the history of my education (all the way back to 1st grade!), all the professors are really interesting. There aren't any days where you're fighting to pay attention. It's like the law school perfect storm...

Mr. Stix had some big news this month too- he earned his blue belt in jiu jitsu! Hooray!! The guy who conferred his belt is really good and studied under one of the Gracies, so he's excited. I want to start a fight with someone so he can defend me with his moves, but I won't, of course. :)

Oh yeah, I just remembered, you can also blame my lack of posts on the time suck that is Ravelry...

Finally, believe it or not, I've been getting a lot of knitting done. I have trouble sleeping at night, so it's been a good opportunity to work on some projects. I am 3/4 of a sleeve away from finishing the opulent raglan, and about 60% finished with the ballet pullover. The opulent raglan is looking amazing- it's by far the best looking thing I've ever made. I'm using Berroco Linen Jeans, as recommended by Dori over at the Wooly Monmouth, and let me tell you, it's absolutely gorgeous. Everything about this yarn is perfect- the drape, the texture, the weight, everything. I couldn't seem to get gauge with it, but it hasn't been a problem at all. I should be finished with it this week.

The ballet pullover is coming along, although I totally screwed something up and have elected not to go back and fix it. The front of the sweater is supposed to be garter stitch, and of course I wasn't paying attention at the beginning, and knit up the whole front in reverse stockinette. It looks fine, except for the line on the side where it turns from reverse stockinette to regular stockinette. No one will notice, I'm sure, but if I would have noticed it earlier, I would have staggered the line to make it look a little softer. Whatever... I just want to finish it so I can wear it. The only thing I'm worried about is that it won't stretch to the right size when I block it. I'm using Lion Brand Landscapes and it has a high acrylic content (and says it can be felted on the label. A likely story.), so hopefully things work out. It fits now, but it's a little snug, to the point of it needing to be pulled down a lot instead of staying in place on its own.

I also FINALLY blocked the puff sleeved cardi this week and will wear it this weekend.

Pictures on everything above to follow...

Oh, and do you think I should sign up for Socktoberfest?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that all is going well for you guys!

    Love the updates on baby & that is awesome news for Mr. Stix. My high school sweetheart works for/studies under the Gracies so I am well aware of the awesomeness of that!

    I'm on the fence about socktoberfest. Part of me really wants to & I think I will have the time but I'm just not sure.

    Maybe if you do it, I'll do it!

    ReplyDelete