Friday, November 30, 2007

Is that a bun in your oven, or are you just, uh, baking?

Look, an actual finished hat, with the ends woven in and everything! It's the Hermione hat from Charmed Knits in Paton's Classic Merino (burgundy). The only thing left to do is block it and stretch it a tiny bit larger. I must have an exceptionally large head or something- I used a bigger needle on this than the pattern called for and it's still a little snug around the folded part.



This took two train rides and 1 viewing of Letters from Iwo Jima to complete and it was definitely not a moment too soon. I was SO SICK of cabling by the time I was about 2/3 of the way through that I had to keep telling myself to keep going. It was like a one person motivational seminar. I had to finish it though, since I've come to the conclusion that I no longer like any of my existing hats.

Thanksgiving weekend was busy for the Stix family. Lots of traveling around to catch up with family and friends. I finally got to catch up with two of my best friends, who, because we live about 5 hours away from each other, I haven't seen since my wedding over a year ago. We met up for shopping and the obligatory multiple Starbucks runs and I finally got to tell them our big news- Mr. Stix and I are having a baby!

We don't know the sex yet, so I haven't been able to knit up any cute baby stuff, with the exception of two really boring off-white hats. I stopped by Michael's tonight to see if I could find any good unisex cotton yarns to make that little hooded blanket from this month's Magknits, but I couldn't find anything that seemed appropriate. Maybe I will just order something online, maybe in Gryffindor colors... (but what if they are sorted into a different house?)

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! Congratulations!!! I'm really happy to hear your good news & I can't wait to see some fabu baby knits!

    Oh & I really love the hat too but it is a bit overshadowed by the stork report! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful news!! Congratulations to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid blogger lost my cool comment. Here's the short of it:

    1) Hurray for preggers!
    2) Here's hoping baby Stix is born with cool mutant powers like the X-Men...or someone's grandfather that I know.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the big news!!! That is so wonderful:) Lots and lots to think about and do:) Hey the baby surprise jacket seems to be all the rage lately I am sure that would be cute if you go neutral colors or somewhere in between.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hhahahah! Hurray for the Preggers. Awsome! I second that - and yeah, off white knitting is cooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! I'm so excited for you guys.

    Have fun knitting cute baby things!

    ReplyDelete