Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bear Grylls couldn't handle my mini-break

Well, I can't seem to get my stuff up on Ravelry fast enough. It's a little tedious to catalogue all of your projects, although I know I'll be happy I went through the trouble in the end. I have to admit, it's a little depressing to go through all my WIP photos, only to find so many things that were ripped out or thrown out for various reasons. Oh well, what can you do- if I had finished those crappy projects, then some of my favorite FOs may never have been made.

I didn't do any knitting this weekend, as we were away on a little trip (or as they say in Bridget Jones' Diary- "on mini-break") with a group of friends and packed in tons of activities. After arriving on Friday morning, we went straight to the beach. I ended up taking a nice long nap on the sand, as was the result of taking lots of Dramamine for the flight. Later, we barbecued dinner on one of those gross public charcoal grills - how do those always make food taste so good? Mmmm!! I think it's like those hot dog vendors in NYC- the dirtier, the tastier.

The next day, we went kayaking through these mangrove forests and saw various gigantic birds- herons, pelicans, etc. They didn't even look real- it was like seeing a dinosaur fly by and then hang out not 20 feet away. So cool. The forest itself was wild- the trees grow out of the water, creating a really dense tangle of roots and branches. A nearby hotel decided to turn it into a tourist attraction, so they somehow created some channels/ tunnels running through the forest that are so narrow in some parts, you can't even use your kayak oars. You basically have to reach out on either side to the tree branches and just pull yourself through. Appparently Bear Grylls tried to get through a mangrove forest sans tunnels on one of his shows, but gave up after a little while. If that guy can't get through, no one can...

The following day, we took a long bike ride- I think it was about 25 miles or so. I'm completely out of shape, so I was struggling, but I made it back without incident. I felt pretty good about not having to call someone to come pick me up on the side of the road somewhere, so I'm looking into a buying a beach cruiser type bike. I'll let you know when I find a cool one.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I love cruisers - I want a bright pink one.

    ReplyDelete