Sunday, April 29, 2007

Robot cake, the next generation

This Tuesday is Mr. Stix's birthday, so when we had some people over last night for Bad Movie Night*, I made him this Mazinga birthday cake:





In making this cake, I have come to the realization that our oven is possessed. Remember how I was baking the Sculpey buttons and had all of those problems? This was the same kind of deal. Now I'm no chef, but I've made many cakes before with no issues- EVER. The cake you see above was from the second go-round. The first cake was a disaster- I put the pans in the oven and set the timer for the shortest bake time (32 minutes), checked on it midway though (it was lovely), and upon removal from the oven, found that it had overcooked and SHRUNK. WTF? Cake shrinks?? The top had been almost to the top of the pan, and fairly even overall in height about 15 minutes in. After 32 minutes it was like 1" tall and the edges were all burned and pulled in about 1/2" from the sides. Not good. It was like one of those souffles you see in old cartoons where it's nice and fluffy and then it pops and falls flat. Even worse was the taste! If you took a taste from the center, it was like the cake had taken on this strangely dense, concentrated form.

Anyway, we ran back to the store (this was 11:30 pm Friday night!) to buy more cake mix. I mixed up the second batch and put it in the oven, setting the timer for a mere 20 minutes. I sat on the floor in front of the little window in the oven door for like, 18 out of the 20 minutes. Total bake time until the toothpick came out clean = 25 minutes. Baking time according to the box = 32-38 minutes. Weird.

Whatever- it tasted pretty good (it was a strawberry cake, but it tasted kind of like fruity pebbles. mmm.) and it looked so cute!

I guess the second time's the charm for robot cakes --my sweet husband loved it. :)

By the way, check out the
coolest nerd wedding cakes ever- look at that Mario Bros. cake (2nd photo down)- it's unbelievable!

*Bad movie night double feature: The Marine (ridiculous, but strangely entertaining), and Commando ("please don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.")

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's time for a new oven, huh? :( But Cake #2 looks great!! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just get a an oven thermometer. It sounds like your oven was hand-crafted by the devil and is about 10-20 degrees hotter than the set dials. That way, no more burning in the future because you'll be compensating for the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness, your robot cake is so cute! and that mario brothers cake is totally sick, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice cake!

    I had to get an over thermometer. It works like a charm (I never knew how off my oven was)!

    ReplyDelete