Thursday, September 22, 2005

Don't hate the player...

Several people have wanted to know what kind of yarn I am using for the Lelah top. I am a little reluctant to tell you because... it is acrylic. Ok, ok, simmer down- since I'm a huge fan of the instant gratification, I like to stop by the Michael's across the street to pick up yarn for small projects. I'm using Caron's Simply Soft in Bone 9905. The color is really beautiful and it doesn't have that gross acrylic feel. The only thing I don't like about it is that the lace section looks a little spongy or something.

I've never blocked acrylic before- does it even do anything to the fabric?

I passed the eyelet row on the Lelah, so now I'm into the home stretch and can't wait. It's still so hot outside that I will actually be able to wear this without having to wait a few months.

I have to pick out a ribbon for the eyelet row, but also for the straps (I just can't bring myself to wear a strapless top). Chocolate brown would be an excellent color for the trim but I am torn on whether they should be grosgrain or velvet. What do we think??

4 comments:

  1. Aw don't be ashamed of the acrylic! I used lion brand cotton ease for mine. It is what I had handy & seemed like a better idea for a summer top in GA than wool.

    I don't think you can block the acrylic though. Maybe if you steam it a bit each time before you wear it that would help.

    I think that chocolate will be lovely & I am also torn with your choices. They each bring their own merits. Hmmmm. I will have to mull it over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i love that color! i wanted to make my urban outfitters circular vest / shrug knockoff out of it, but they only had one skein and i needed two. i ended up buying two skeins of the autumn red color. mmm...red. i've used this before, and the only gripe i have about this yarn is that it develops some sort of halo after washing...?? i made the devil hat from the first SnB book and the hat accidently got thrown in the wash. might've came out weird because it was machine washed & tumbled dry, so...kinda fyi. but i think your lelah top will turn out beautiful! can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just used simply soft on my circular shrug, and i love it! i had never used it before, and i also went to michael's for instant gratification. sometimes you just don't want to wait for a weekend shopping trip to the lys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so weird that it has a halo after washing- it says that it is machine washable and dryable. I'll have to remember to hand wash it...

    ReplyDelete